The BioEnterics® LAP-BAND® System is not right for everyone. Here are some of the things we will consider when evaluating your candidacy for obesity surgery.
The LAP-BAND System may be right for you if:
- You are at least 18 years old.
- Your BMI is 35 or higher or you weigh at least twice your ideal weight or you weigh at least 100 pounds more than your ideal weight.
- You have been overweight for more than 5 years.
- Your serious attempts to lose weight have had only short-term success.
- You do not have any other disease that may have caused your obesity.
- You are prepared to make substantial changes in your eating habits and lifestyle.
- You are willing to continue being monitored by the specialist who is treating you.
- You do not drink alcohol in excess.
If you do not meet the BMI or weight criteria, you still may be considered for surgery if your BMI is over 35 and you are suffering from serious health problems related to obesity.
The LAP-BAND System is not right for you if:
- You have an inflammatory disease or condition of the gastrointestinal tract, such as ulcers, severe oesophagitis, or Crohn’s disease.
- You have severe heart or lung disease that makes you a poor candidate for surgery.
- You have some other disease that makes you a poor candidate for surgery.
- You have a problem that could cause bleeding in the oesophagus or stomach. This might include oesophageal or gastric varices (a dilated vein). It might also be something such as congenital or acquired intestinal telangiectasia (dilation of a small blood vessel).
- You have portal hypertension.
- Your oesophagus, stomach, or intestine is not normal (congenital or acquired). For instance you might have a narrowed opening.
- You have or have experienced an intra-operative gastric injury, such as a gastric perforation at or near the location of the intended band placement.
- You have cirrhosis.
- You have chronic pancreatitis.
- You are pregnant. (If you become pregnant after the BioEnterics LAP-BAND System has been placed, the band may need to be deflated. The same is true if you need more nutrition for any other reason, such as becoming seriously ill. In rare cases, removal may be needed.)
- You are addicted to alcohol or drugs.
- You are under 18 years of age.
- You have an infection anywhere in your body or one that could contaminate the surgical area.
- You are on chronic, long-term steroid treatment.
- You cannot or do not want to follow the dietary rules that come with this procedure.
- You might be allergic to materials in the device.
- You cannot tolerate pain from an implanted device.
- You or someone in your family has an autoimmune connective tissue disease. That might be a disease such as systemic lupus erythematosus or scleroderma. The same is true if you have symptoms of one of these diseases.
While the LAP-BAND System is an effective treatment for morbid obesity, the pounds do not come off by themselves. The LAP-BAND System is an aid to support you in achieving lasting results by limiting food intake, reducing appetite and slowing digestion. However, your motivation and commitment to adopt a new lifestyle are extremely important for long-term weight loss. New eating habits must be adhered to for the rest of your life. Exercise is an equally important component of a changed lifestyle.